Saturday, 6 August 2011

Last Goodbyes

So here I am in Australia! I’m so tired right now so please excuse any incoherency.

Right, so my last weekend was amazing. Very last minute I managed to get a wristband for the Saturday night at Global Gathering. So I had to run about to get the wristband from James. I was meant to be going for lunch but as I was still sorting through all the stuff at my parent’s house (some of which has been in boxes since I left Essex nearly 4 years ago!) and that over ran so I ended up only just making it to town before James had to jump on a train. We actually met at the station, that’s how close cut it was! I bought his ticket for him as he was running so late he might not have got one in time, however he was probably late because I had messed about so much with the plans for the day that he didn’t know what was going on, poor boy. So yea, I swapped a train ticket for a wristband and then, later that evening, I disappeared off to Global. Camping is never very glamorous and true to form this night was no exception but it was better than nothing and I think I even got a sizeable amount of sleep till the heat of the sun through the plastic tent became unbearable and I got up. But the music was good and the sets of the acts I had seen before were better than last time. We went on some of the rides which was fun. Didn’t go near any of the big scary rides like the one where you slingshot into the air or the one where you get spun about on the giant arm, but that didn’t stop the big burly guy behind us throwing up on what I thought wasn’t a particularly up-chuck-ey ride! So to summarise Global: Good music, fun rides, wish I’d taken my hoody and good company.

Sunday it took us over an hour and a half in the car to get out of Global as there was so much traffic. And when you’re in a non-air-conditioned car and it’s a gazillion degrees, that’s far too long! When driving thought Stratford the butterfly farm was pointed out as a place of childhood memories since it seems it was a mandatory school trip, but since I didn’t go to school here I had never been. Therefore it was decided that we must go there and then and it was actually really fun! I like bugs and creepy crawly things and you could buy giant snails and millipedes and I think that if I wasn’t going to Oz I would have come home with a new pet! I took lots of photos on my new camera. My 5pm my brother had finished work so I went home with him in the evening. 

Dani and I matching hoodies
When I got back I was meant to be packing but, urm… yea that didn’t happen. Woops. Instead Dani came and picked me up after dinner and we went to “her place”. Now that doesn’t mean anything dirty and I don’t mean her house but it’s a place she goes to in the countryside to think or when she’s sad etc., so we went there. The only problem was that it was pitch black by this point so she kept screaming at plants and stopping dead because she had heard something and it could have been an axe murderer or something. Anyway, eventually we made it through the fields and got to this little patch of grass that you could see for miles from. It was dark but you could make out the towns and villages from the little twinkle of the lights. We sat there for a while and she gave me a goodbye letter to take with me. I am turning the book Rachy got me as a leaving present into a scrap book (well I will when I get some pritt stick to glue all the things in) so that letter will go in along with things like the receipt for last coffees and cards people have given me, I even have the reserved sign from my leaving party to go in there! Dani and I went back to her house and I slept in “my spot” (again not dirty, it is the side of Dani’s bed that belongs to me) for the last time for a year! I left early in the morning and tried really hard not to be sad about leaving. 

James trying to play piano
I spent that afternoon packing and sorting more things to take with me, the 23kg limit was looking increasingly out of reach, but in the afternoon James came to see me on the train after work. He actually spent all the time at mine either shooting me with a nerf gun that my brother had left out or mucking about on the piano trying to transpose my leaving song from guitar to piano. I told him we had many guitars but no, he wanted to play the piano. I still haven’t heard my leaving song so I do expect an email with the file attached very soon boys!!!! (That’s aimed at James and Dave, not all boys on the planet) He had to get the train back at about 7pm so off he went after lots of last hugs. 

All my shoes I left behind :(
It was starting to get repetitively morose in my life because of all the goodbyes but it had to happen sooner or later. Eventually I was all packed up late on Monday evening only to realise that my suitcase was 5kg overweight – damn. But it was too late to do anything about it then so I went to bed exhausted. Tuesday morning I was awake at 6.30 and I hadn’t slept very well at all! I had various phone calls from friends wanting to wish me a good flight before they went off to work and then I set to work trying to loose 5kg from my already very basic packing. I got it down to 25kg after some clothes and cosmetics and shoes were taken out. But that was the lightest I could get it!
All I have in the world!
Ben had to work so it was just me and the parentals going to the airport. We arrived an hour and a half early thanks to my dad not wanting to be late so making us leave ridiculously early! Airports really are weird places. Everyone is kinda in limbo, everyone’s waiting to go somewhere but cant. I sat and people watched for a while and it was very obvious who was off on holiday and who was traveling for business. There were families and backpackers and business men and some people who just looked plain weird! When Georgie and Eloise arrived all our parents were introduced and numbers exchanged yadda yadda yadda. Eventually the time came to say goodbye and after some last min texting to my besties (lol spell check wants to change that to beasties which might be more apt sometimes) and some very tight hugs from my parents; we checked in and that’s it we were off on our adventure!!!