It's a very thought and discussion provoking article. I posted it on facebook yesterday without caption or tags and very quickly 6 unconnected friends had liked it.
I guess I have and I haven't thought about the choices I make to ensure my safety. I know I do alter my behaviour to keep myself safe but it never occurred to me that it was such a conceptually unsettling thing to do. I haven't gone as far as Daisy to avoid going dancing and have a curfew but I do have a few behaviours like that:
- I avoid certain routes when I'm by myself
- I also always have an exit plan wherever I go
- I go everywhere with a sort of emergency survival kit which usually comprises of my phone in my hand not my bag with my ID, a bank card, and an emergency twenty pound note in it so I can ditch everything and just run if needed
- I have friends that I tell where and when (and most importantly with whom) I go, and get phone calls at strategically placed points throughout the night to check I'm ok
- I can rattle off a fake name/address/mobile number without a thought
|Do we all need a bodyguard?|