Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Christmas and new years

So I suppose I ought to talk about Christmas and new years and things. Shall I carry on with my weekly update theme?

Ok week 18:
We had a new pilot study at work happening this week and we were all scurrying about trying to get it ready and make sure it all went smoothly. It went really well but over ran by about an hour and by the time I had packed up and the last patient had left it was 6.30. But everyone was happy with the results and it seemed a success.

On Thursday we had a visit from one of the lecturers from uni in the UK come to visit. He was so jet lagged and had such a busy day interviewing all of us and the bosses. He wanted to see the presentations that we did a few weeks ago and seemed impressed with what we are doing so that’s good. That afternoon was out work Christmas “party”. Giving a slightly sarcastic, jet lagged, English lecturer a glass of champagne was fun. We stood at the back during the speeches and he made funny comments and we tried to hide giggles. I couldn’t stay for long as I was technically working in the sleep lab that evening but it was fun none the less. I made up for my absence earlier and caught up when I finally got downstairs. Oh and on the way home I bumped into the Neurology receptionists who are a bit notorious but they invited me along to the bar they were heading to so I went and had a drink with them too. That evening Eloise and her Mum flew out for their epic adventures around Australia.

That Friday I was running another clinic all by myself and I was taught how to do some more of the computerised testing. It was a very busy day and the girl who was helping me that day had a cold so I sent her home to sleep. But never mind, I survived.

Week 19:
More pilot studies this week that went well. Oh and it was Georgie's birthday on the Thursday! She loved the little handbag I got for her and we went out for dinner at this little Japanese place near us. The sushi was really good; I even risked some of the tiramisu cake that we bought as birthday cake.

On Friday we finished work for the holidays and Georgie and I hit the town. We were dressed to impress, Georgie in a see through shirt and me in my new blue dress. I think the dress was a success as I got called blue dress all night.We headed to J├Ągermeister Fridays at this little bar we have found recently and then headed down to the harbour aiming for one of the big clubs down there. While we were waiting for the taxi we saw a man walking down the middle of the main street in between all the traffic. Georgie called out – You’re going to die! So of course he came over to have a chat. He invited himself along with us when we flagged a taxi but when we arrived at the harbour, funnily enough, neither Georgie or I had any change so he had to pay for the taxi. Funny how things work out like that isn’t it? We managed to lose him in a bar but never made it to the club! One rather dodgy kebab and the last bus home later I was fast asleep in my little bed.
Lighting the Christmas pudding!

Saturday we had international Christmas! 
Since a lot of my friendship group here are international we decided to each bring 2 dishes that we think should be at Christmas dinner and see what happens. Georgie and I took a glazed ham, Christmas pudding with homemade brandy sauce and champagne. From Australia we had roast pork, whole prawns and Pavlova. From the Netherlands we had something I have forgotten the name of but it was mashed potato with kale and sliced frankfurter on top. From America we had little potato thingies and ginger bread cake. And from Russia we had a shot of vodka between each course! So a good time was had by all. I think the Christmas pudding won the wow factor award as no other pudding you set alight. Australians don’t eat Christmas pudding so it doesn’t occur to them to soak it in brandy and then ignite it and watch the blue flames dance across it. Well we fixed that!

That Sunday I went for the bbq where I got Sheldon which I’ve already spoken about.

Week 20:
Monday morning. Didn’t have to get up for work. Bliss.

On Wednesday Eloise and co. arrived home and on Thursday Georgie's boyfriend, Gareth, arrived so we had a full house. We spent Friday finishing off Christmas shopping and stock piling food for the weekend.

Christmas day was lovely and sunny! It had threatened to rain all week but it turned out to be the one rain free day all week. Georgie, Gareth and I packed up and went to bondi beach for the day. I sat in my bikini and Santa hat on the white sand and watched the waves. It was great. I got some stunning tan lines too! In the evening we came back to the house and fired up the bbq and had prawns and steak with lots of salad and wine. I skyped my parents to say happy Christmas even though mine was nearly over just as theirs was beginning! The presents I had sent home were a big hit so I was happy about that. It was odd being without my family over Christmas though. And it was odd it not being cold and you being all snuggled up in your Christmas jumper. Didn’t feel that Christmassy but it was still a really good day.
Christmas Day at the Beach

Week 21:
Boxing Day Georgie and Gareth went off to see some of Oz for a few days and Eloise was still busy with her family here so I had a couple of days to myself which was really nice.

On Wednesday I went to meet my half great uncle who lives in Sydney. I’ve never met him before in my life but they seemed really excited to meet me. We went for lunch and then I went back to theirs for a chat. They seem nice people so that was good. It was rather nerve racking getting the bus out to this place I’ve never been before, on my own, to meet people I’ve never met before but hey if I’m gunna do the whole – being independent – thing then cant back down now!

Friday I spent on another beach working on my tan and chilling with some friends.

Our view of the bridge for New Years
My new years plans changed so much! I ended up going to the bridge to watch the 9pm fireworks. The fireworks are a big deal here and apparently 1.8 MILLION people were there watching them. Everywhere was packed! It took us nearly an hour to find a good spot. We were under the bridge so couldn’t see much going on at the bridge but could see in both directions to see the fireworks going off from the islands. Then I went to a house party which I had to find out where it was first. It was in Croydon, which seemed rather similar to its English name sake. Nuff said. There were so many people at the party! Ran into a couple of people I was intending to avoid for… well, ever really. But that actually went much better than expected and I’m glad that happened now. There were also some friendship politics going on that night so it was a bit of an awkward turtle night. Actually scrap that, it was an awkward whale of a night! Turtle isn’t big enough to describe the awkward. However I actually had a good time. When midnight came everyone had party poppers and everyone went about kissing everyone else, even if they didn’t want to be kissed but never mind. So yea, it was not necessarily a great start to the year, I hope it doesn’t carry on like that! I can’t cope with that much drama all the time!

New years day I slept and got pizza hut.

Week 22:
So here we are at week 22! Monday was a bank holiday but I was back to work today. I had a brilliantly clever epiphany and have doubled my work load because of it but now I’ve had the idea I can’t really ignore it.

It’s also Cecile’s birthday today and we are planning on doing the party bus again. I didn’t talk about that before did I? Well it’s what it sounds like, it’s a bar crawl but because Sydney is huge you have a bus with club music and lights to take you between them. It would make rubix proud (for those of you that know what rubix is)

So yea, busy few weeks! 22 weeks gone already! Only a month off half way now! Sometimes it feels like no time at all and sometimes it feels like ages. I’m always happy when I hear people have been reading my blog so hi to all my readers! It’s nice to know even though I’m gone; I’m not forgotten.